Wednesday 11 January 2017

Cross-Post: First GURPSday 2017

I always dutifully read through the GURPSday listings, as I prefer it to using the content threads on the forums. I find much it more digestible, an easy way to get an overview of what the GURPS-o-sphere is doing recently without being bombarded with huge amounts of content. So here are a few of my stand-out blogs and posts from the first week of 2017!

Enraged Eggplant at Generic Universal Eggplant has been cranking out a large quantity of content. There are many conversions of D&D monsters, which I will have to check out soon, as I've done a few myself for a GURPS worldbuilding project. But the main thing that caught my eye was his spells. Eggplant has also been producing tons of sorcery spells and even a few for the vanilla spells-as-skills system. I'm not a fan of the sorcery system, as it's too point-hungry for my taste, but Eggplant's abilities are great as a grimoire if you run with sorcery, while also being useful inspiration for any powers you might be working on (which is how I've used them!). If sorcery is your thing, check it out! I also really liked their post on a new Gravity College for vanilla magic (since it's my preferred flavour of GURPS magic).

I don't often play with the Infinite Worlds setting but I do love alternate history and parallel timelines. Moe Lane came up with this nice little worldline where the Titanic never sank. Even though the worldline seems relatively benign, they've sprinkled the description with plenty of plot hooks for a team employed either by the Infinity Corporation, Infinity Patrol, or ISWAT.

Lastly, there's Further Up the Spire. I often read bits and pieces of it but it's almost entirely fantasy and I'm much more strongly pulled towards science fiction. That said, a recent post on a system for easily making new potions caught my attention, as I agree with Archon Shiva that the alchemy and potions in GURPS Magic seem very piecemeal and non-systemic. I'm saving it for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment